The Forester/Silviculturist functions under the general direction of the Forest Program Manager and is in charge of all phases of Presale/Silvicultural programs on all Kalispel Tribal forested lands. Areas of responsibility include preparation of harvest units, timber stand improvement prescriptions, meeting annual allowable cut (AAC) targets, developing annual and 5 year harvest schedules, planning and directing Forest management and inventory planning programs, and ensuring all forestry activities meet the requirements of the National Environmental Protection Act. The incumbent recommends, designs, and implements forest management and habitat restoration/enhancement projects to improve forest habitat conditions for wildlife benefit on all Kalispel Tribal mitigated lands based on individual stand exam assessments. A Siviculturist IV (federally certified) may serve as the Lead Silviculturalist on the interagency “Trails” TFPA. Major duties include development of programmatic prescriptions on USFS, WADNR, and Kalispel Tribal lands, development of site specific prescriptions in context with “Trails” programmatic EA, coordination with USFS, WADNR, and participating private landowners, and public presentations to interested/affected parties on proposed silvicultural prescriptions.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and be eligible for coverage under the Tribes’ vehicle Insurance.
- Work history must be excellent attendance.
- Must be willing to travel for work projects, meetings, training and conference participation as necessary.
- Must be willing to work extended hours at times.
- Must submit all applicable college transcripts.
- Must be in good physical condition to be able to work and hike in inclement weather conditions and over variable and rugged terrain.
- Must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment and work variable hours, long days, early mornings, holidays, and weekends as the work dictates.
- Must be able to utilize handheld GPS units to map study areas and export to GIS.
It is desired but not mandatory to maintain physical standards of wildland fire qualifications
Licenses & Certifications
Tribal Work Permit II
For more information visit Forester-Silverculturist (II, III, IV) | Kalispel Tribe of Indians (ultipro.com).